Although we handle matters for major media companies, by choice the large majority of our intellectual property clients are the creators — primarily individuals and independent companies — rather than the corporate acquirers.
We have broad experience in copyright issues, including advising on applicability of statutory provisions and relevant case law, negotiating licenses and permissions, performing pre-release review for film, television and literary works, and resolving or litigating infringement claims.
We have negotiated and drafted a wide range of collaboration, joint-venture, management and agency contracts in all areas of entertainment and creative arts, on behalf of performers and artists, artists’ managers, talent booking agencies, record companies, authors, book and magazine publishers, photographers, filmmakers, designers (including of furniture, jewelry, clothing, graphic arts and products), and television production companies.
We negotiate licenses for and enforce trademarks on behalf of our clients and have successfully challenged “cybersquatters” who have registered Internet domain names in violation of our clients’ trademark rights.
- Serve as legal counsel to documentary filmmakers and television production companies, advising on and negotiating copyright, libel, privacy and other “vetting” issues, contract matters, and rights and licenses.
- At the request of a number of literary agents, negotiate option agreements for the purchase of motion-picture rights in their authors’ literary properties.
- Prepared and negotiated comprehensive trademark licensing agreements for the owner of a valuable, nationally known trademark for a wide range of products.
- Halted the bootlegging of a client’s films that were the subject of a major exhibition at the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum.
- Worked with law enforcement officials and an on-line auction house to stop unauthorized sales of a client’s artworks.
- Negotiated a composer’s recapture of his mechanical-royalty share for television series scores he composed; negotiated his membership with the French mechanical-rights collection society and advised on steps to ensure worldwide collection of his royalties.