Shatzkin & Mayer counsels an extensive range of clients in entertainment, cultural and art-law matters. We have represented authors, musicians, artists and artists’ estates and foundations, graphic designers, fashion and jewelry designers, furniture and lighting designers, fine-art and fashion photographers, and film and television producers. Our clients also include agencies representing models, musicians, photographers and authors.
We draft and negotiate agreements and advise on matters dealing with book and music publishing, film, television and theater productions, sound recordings, licensing and distribution arrangements. We provide advice on the protection, infringement and fair use of copyrights and trademarks.
- Obtained the vacatur of a ruling by a Writers Guild arbitration panel that denied a screenwriter credit on a Hollywood film; at a rehearing before a new panel of arbitrators, won a ruling granting him the credit.
- Negotiated a contract with the Metropolitan Transportation Authority for the use of a well-known illustrator’s artwork to decorate barriers erected during the renovations of Grand Central Station.
- Negotiated a licensing agreement with the Museum of Modern Art for a designer’s iconic line of products.
- Negotiated and monitored an agreement with major auction house to market and sell a deceased celebrity author’s property; negotiated publication by a national magazine of the author’s unpublished manuscript.
- Represented photographers and their heirs in the sale of photo archives.